Custom Home Builders — Do You Know What to Look For When Deciding on a Custom Builder Builder?
- You need a top performing home builder to fulfill your vision.
- Always look for a highly reviewed builder.
- Find a local builder who can meet all of your goals.
- Luxury design builders are plenty but not all can provide attentive service. Work with someone who communicates with you every step of the way.
- You should never sacrifice quality when it comes to your dream home.
- Be sure to review the builder’s warranty before signing the agreement.
- Customer reviews can reveal a lot about a home builder. Look for one with generally positive feedback.
- Your rating should matter most as a homebuyer.
- Upgrades vary from builder to builder — find one who meets all of your needs.
- Visit an open house to take advantage of information and home tours.
- With a custom home, you can anticipate a construction timeline of up to six months or longer.
- Consider the lots available for you to build as it will determine what areas are available for you to choose from.
- A model home can give you a good feel for the builder.
Deciding If a Custom Home is the Best Route For You
Buying a home is an exciting journey. It’s also one that requires a lot of thought and consideration. Planning ahead will help you be in the best position possible to ensure your needs are addressed from the get-go!
One of the first decisions you’ll need to make is to decide whether you want your home to be built as a new construction with you having a say in everything from the floor plan, the design of every room including the colors, materials, and appliances; or to choose a move-in ready home that has met all of your needs. Two of the biggest factors in this decision will be time and budget. A custom built home will take up to six months to build and will require a larger budget. While the process of buying a pre-built, move-in ready home can take anywhere from 30 to 45 days and based on the upgrades you select, may not cost as much.
Get a Quote Today!
In addition to time and budget, there are other major differences to consider. With a custom home, you can expect the following:
- Floor plans can be drawn from scratch.
- You will be more involved in the process and will be expected to make imminent construction decisions such as how tall you want the ceilings, the finishes on walls, and the layout of rooms.
- The price of a custom home is generally higher as you will be choosing everything from the materials and appliances and your budget may increase as you begin making changes to your initial plan.
- The process is more complex compared to buying a pre-built home.
What to Look For in Custom Home Builders
There are numerous custom home builders in the El Paso area, which is why it’s important to know what to look for when going down this route. You want a custom home builder who, most importantly, sees your vision and has the capacity to bring it to life.
As you explore home builders, consider doing the following:
- Learn about their previous work and see if it matches your vision.
- Look for a builder who is open to your ideas, no matter how different or unique they may be so long as they are technically possible.
- Choose a builder who offers you a competitive contract that is within your budget.
- Take time to explore the builder’s references. There is nothing wrong with wanting testimonies or client reviews.
Find out if they offer a comprehensive warranty? Your home’s warranty is important. Make sure it protects you where it matters most such as any potential foundation issues or roof damage.
Learn early on if you like the way they communicate. Since you’ll be working with your custom home builder for months to come, you need to feel comfortable. Also, make sure that communication is not a one-way street.
Experience the Communities For Yourself!
Although we are not a custom home builder, as a home builder with vast experience in the El Paso, TX area, we feel it is our duty to provide the El Paso community with as much knowledge as possible when it comes to real estate and the process of buying a new home. Please connect with us today if you have any questions and be sure to take a look at our model homes!